EASY UPDATE BANNER 468X60

Friday, July 24, 2009

I'm off to explora the Medora

Had someone grabbed me by the ear junior year and said, if you study journalism you'll spend your vacations doing this, I'd have taken them outside, rammed my fingers in their eyeballs and assaulted them with "Yo mama" jokes.

  • Yo mama so bald you can see whats on her mind
  • Yo mama so old she waitressed at the Last Supper
  • Yo mama so fat she sat on a rainbow and skittles popped out

But just in case, I also would have changed my majors to aquaculture and soil science, naturally.

So when my friend Cookie up and left me for a job in Medora, North Dakota's No. 1 tourist destination, I knew I'd have to visit. So this weekend I am.

The story of the city goes like this: A young entrepreneur named Marquis de Mores founded the town in 1883. He named it Medora, after his new bride, Medora von Hoffman. The tale of their love and the city's foundation is supposed to be one of the most romantic ever told. But how it measures up to "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past" remains a mystery.

Frankly, I think it's manure. Quite literally.

See, Mores invested the money of his rich, city-slicker father-in-law into founding the town. He built a mansion for himself as well as stores, hotels and A MEAT PACKING PLANT. The city is still known as a CATTLE TOWN, reminiscent of the Ol' West.

What makes it worse, is this Medora von Hoffman, his wife, loved it there. She loved it so much, she told newspapers she would always remember Medora as home. Even though she was wealthy. And from New York. And should have known better.

So, basically this town is either so radical even city people like it, or Medora von Hoffman got one too many whiffs of methane.

I'll let you know next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter