EASY UPDATE BANNER 468X60

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

It ain't easy eating greens

This winter I signed up for a farm-fresh food delivery program. I had to do it. The weather made me crazy.


The program sounded like a good one.


Every week, a farmer delivers spinach, radishes, carrots, peas and/or other fresh farm produce to the consumer’s (that's me) home or office. The deliveries last throughout the summer and each week’s groceries are portioned for about a family of four.


To eat that much, I’d have to A). pop out a kid or seven or B). increase my stomach’s storage capacity. So each week I split the contents of my home delivery package with my friend and her husband.


The way I figure it, I spend $10 a week for the at-office DELIVERY of lettuce, spinach, radishes, onion and dill, for example. The amount of dill ALONE, had I bought it in the grocery store, is worth more than $10.


The only problem is, I could split my half, in half, and I’d still have cabbage go bad.


See, I’ve come a long way in my vegetable-eating habits.


In my elementary days, the only Vitamin C I ever consumed came from the grape preserves on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I didn’t mind Capri Suns and Kool-Aid, but orange juice made me gag. Corn was OK, but broccoli, cauliflower or coleslaw of any kind induced a stomach reflux rivaling that of a bulimic.


I don't know if that's a city thing, a kid thing, or a Katie thing, but that's just how I rolled, yo.


Since then, I’ve come to admire the taste of a sauteed onion and I don’t even flinch at lettuce on a BLT.


So when I heard about this vegetable venture I figured it was only a natural progression into my life as a country girl... or at least a well-balanced diet. That, and seven months of snow had me craving the outdoors so bad I was willing to stick my fingers in dirt just to feel the fresh air. See what I mean about the crazy? DIRT.


The first delivery was great. Along with the perfectly portioned produce, the farmer sends recipes and detailed lists of exactly what I’m eating and just how many vitamins are in it.


Since I had company coming (i.e. mom, dad and brother), it was perfect timing. Radish dip, anyone? You got it. Spinich-fried rice? Cowboy can whip it up.


But even with all the company and all the recipes and all the food I fed them, a dill-filled Ziploc remained in my freezer. And the beet greens the farmer sent, still there.


The malevolence of the woman, to fill me with lycopene, beta carotene and other nutrients good for my heart... how dare she? She sends so much, it’s like I’m supposed to eat vegetables with every meal or something. Bogus.


I'm pretty sure the only food group I eat with every meal is dessert.


So while I appreciate the recipe for braised beet greens, I’d much prefer the recipe for beet green peanut butter balls.


Today I receive another delivery. I'll likely drown in its contents, but at least I won't die hungry :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter